About the Aegean Sea, its islands and their inhabitants, Chios has been through the centuries a strategic location and a place that hosted royals, bankers, traders & nobles.

Giustiniani is the name of a prominent Italian family which originally belonged to Venice, but also established itself in Genoa, and at various times had representatives in Naples, Corsica and in the islands of the Archipelago, where they had been the last Genoese rulers of the Aegean island of Chios, which had been a family possession for two centuries until 1566.

Giovanni Giustiniani 1418–June 1, 1453) was a Genoese captain, a member of one of the greatest families of the Republic of Genoa, a kinsman to the powerful house of Doria in Genoa.

His body was carried by his comrades to the then Genoese island of Chios. His tomb in the Church of San Domenico on Chios is lost in the earthquake of 1881, but several descriptions survive.

In the XVIIIth century the East India Companies of England, France, and the Netherlands ruled over many coastal towns and their neighboring territories in India, Indochina, and Indonesia.

An early example of such a mixture of trade and politics can be found in the Maona Giustiniani which ruled over the island of Scio (Chios), in the Aegean Sea for more than two centuries, from 1347 to 1566. The name "maona" is of uncertain origin, maybe from the Genovese voice "mobba" equivalent to the union, or also from the name of one ship or also a word most likely of Arab origin Maounach (trading company).

The origin, therefore, is tied more families combined in rising of partnership ("lodges"). Such "societies" were of the true ones and own Lordships with a lot of armies, soldiers and fiscal autonomy and to times their politics were in contrast with that one of the same Republic that had originated to them. The history of the island of Chios from the fourteenth century to sixteenth closely is tied to that one of the family Giustiniani, noble from Genoa that assumed the control of the island in that time.

The history of the Grimaldi’s of Chios…

Here on Chios, all the great families of Europe had chosen and lived here, for here the place was worthy of hosting them. One of these royal families was Grimaldi, it has deep royal roots in western Europe, It is the well-known present-day family of the Royals of Monaco, Renier Grimaldi, with a descent that is lost in the depths of the centuries. According to G. Zolotas Volume A2 HISTORY OF CHIOS p. 553-554 many claims that they originate from Normandy, others from France (with the old frontiers.

In Genoa, there was Grimaldi Square and la Grimaldina Prison, and they occupied the Monaco fortress and created the state in which they reign.

They came here to the land and then settled with Julianiani of Chios with more than 20 marriages, first registered in 1614. Two of their branches, one of which is still in Chios, are Ceba and Paterio according to The History of Chios volume A2 pages 554 to 556, topographical no. 88.

According to the information mentioned, their central townhouse in the city was in the Metropolis, next to the church of Ag. Victora, as in today's Girls' School, today's building for us between the Korais Library and the Metropolis Cathedral Church, which now is housing the University of the Aegean.

For a more accurate description, it should be noted that it is likely to have a part of the present Metropolis Church, since the Church Metropolis was then southern, where its offices are today.

The Grimaldi family is listed in the Golden List of Genovese Nobles.

The palace of Grimaldi was on the main road of Frangovouni, the estate was bordering south with the church of Panagia catholic church. It was just after the two estates of the Pantelides families, close by the then French Consulate.

The tower of the Royal Family of Grimaldi was among the most beautiful of the plain, both in terms of size and in terms of luxurious construction. By the 1960s, a large section of the ground floor had survived, now only one cephalophore survived, there are still a few parts of the outer wall and the once magnificent central entrance to the estate, which however

The tower dominated the whole area of Kambos, and there is a painting representation of Smith.

This tower has been studied and painted by almost all those who have dealt with the mansions of Kambos. Incredible magnificence and luxury. Zolotas writes that the three contiguous estates of Rizos / Moutsatsou, Pantelidis / Zounville and Delendis and de Sturdza belonged to the mansion as well as the Pantelidis estate.

Admire Smith's painting and see in the present photo the only column of the head storm that is saved to remind that once there lived kings and princes.

Discover, engage with the locals, enjoy.